I have never like mayonnaise. I can’t even tolerate it when the flavor is masked and mixed into things. Potato salad? No, thanks. Ranch dressing? Bleh! Sandwich spread? I prefer mustard. Can you imagine my surprise when one night I was craving mayonnaise? I imagine that my body wasn’t craving mayonnaise as much as it was craving fat, but either way I was too lazy to drive to the store, and I decided to make some. Yup. On a whim I decided to whip up some homemade mayonnaise.
I read this recipe from The Clothes Make the Girl and this recipe from Alton Brown and decided to combine the two. I must have gotten lucky because it came together beautifully, tasted amazing, and was super easy. Apparently, mayonnaise is rather finicky and can separate easily if not prepared correctly.
I will be up front and honest, I have only tried this recipe once, and like I said, I may have gotten lucky. But, if you are a fellow mayonnaise hater, I strongly urge you to make some from scratch. You just may be a convert. I am!
Yields ~1 cup
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 cup light olive oil
- In a food processor, combine egg yolk, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, mustard and salt. I used the blade attachment and let it whirl for about 20-30 seconds.
- SLOWLY drizzle the oil into the food processor. Pour as slowly as you can and then slow it down even more. This part should take about 3-5 minutes.
- When you have poured all of the oil into the food processor, let it whirl for another 15-20 seconds.
Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Sriracha Mayonnaise
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil, maybe a little more depending on the size of your sweet potato
- Seasoned salt
- 3 tablespoons homemade mayonnaise (see above!)
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- Heat oven to 425˚.
- Peel sweet potato and cut into strips about 1/2 inch thick.
- Toss in melted coconut oil, season with seasoned salt, and spread evenly on a baking sheet.
- Roast in oven for 20-25 minutes or until they brown evenly. If you are feeling extra enthusiastic, flip them at the halfway mark.
- In a small dish, mix 3 tablespoons homemade mayonnaise and 1 tablespoon Sirarcha sauce until well combined.
- Dip sweet potato fries into the Sirarcha mayonnaise and enjoy the flavor explosion!